"We're all mad here"

Monday, June 24, 2013

Its Monday!

    If it wasn't summertime I would be so sad right now, who likes Mondays? Anyway so as we know today is the life post, that sounds just so heavy. :( But it shouldn't be! Anyway, today's topic is...wait for it......
Books!!!!!
      Yes I know that doesn't sound entertaining. Yes I know it’s summertime; no I am not trying to ruin your summer. But really what else are you supposed to do when your tanning. Or when its one of those weird days, and it’s raining. Oh why thank you, I love that you would rather read my blog. You’re so sweet. But really there are some great books out there! We just have to find one you like, so here is secret agent Brina on the case to find books for the world!  So here are my top 5 books! (The summary has been stolen from goodreads, but the commentary is genuine)
1.      Goose Girl by Shannon Hale:
     a.      Summary (Thanks Goodreads.com, checkout the site!): Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, spends the first years of her life under her aunt's guidance learning to communicate with animals. As she grows up Ani develops the skills of animal speech, but is never comfortable speaking with people, so when her silver-tongued lady-in-waiting leads a mutiny during Ani's journey to be married in a foreign land, Ani is helpless and cannot persuade anyone to assist her. 
Becoming a goose girl for the king, Ani eventually uses her own special, nearly magical powers to find her way to her true destiny. Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a girl who must find her own unusual talents before she can become queen of the people she has made her own.
     b.      What I think: One of my most favorite books of all time!! It is in the fantasy genre, but the characters are extremely realistic and you begin to feel very close to them. The story line draws you in with plot twists and exciting adventures! There is a little romance but its not overwhelming, just adds to the book. Definitely a must read!
2.      Firefight by Kate Wild:
     a.      Summary (Thanks again Goodreads!): Freedom Smith is feeling the heat! Kate Wild's reluctant hero returns for a new high-speed, hard-hitting, techno-adventure.Recruited into a black ops unit after bringing down an illegal fight club, Freedom Smith is now an agent for Phoenix, investigating criminal underworlds. His next assignment: Solve the mystery of the Screamer--a viral video that's already made 13 kids vanish. Freedom faces the music, soon finding himself imprisoned in a nightmare fortress. To escape, he'll have to master Dragon Fire, the ultimate fighting technique, and battle a supernatural enemy immune to his strength. Freedom may be on the ropes, but he'd better rally--his girl Java is about to be sacrificed to a serpent goddess!
    b.      What I think: K, this summary makes the book sound really lame. But it is not I promise! It has action and romance (not really, but hey if you want it!), and a pretty trippy story line. Also a really kick ass sidekick, his dog. Who by the way is amazing! The girl is not in anyway weak, so that also makes me happy! Yay Kick ass girls! The male character, Freedom, is pretty cool too, with his super strength and all. So over all a good action book, lots of fighting. Loved it a lot :)
3.      Schooled by Gordan Korman:
     a.      Summary (Goodreads, what would I do without youJ):Home schooled by his hippie grandmother, Capricorn (Cap) Anderson has never watched television, tasted a pizza, or even heard of a wedgie. But when his grandmother lands in the hospital, Cap is forced to move in with a guidance counselor and attend the local middle school. While Cap knows a lot about tie-dyeing and Zen Buddhism, no education could prepare him for the politics of public school
     b.      What I think: This book is hilarious!! Sadly it is no longer a part of my bookshelves because it was worthy of actually giving to someone else. I kinda want it back, is that sad or what? I really shouldn't have given it away because it is an amazing read. Along with all the rest of the books on this list, the characters are great especially Cap. He is so damn innocent, it’s just great. And if you’re looking for a quick read, this is also perfect. Anyway, stupendous (see what I did there, mixing up the words ) book, good writing, and good characterization.
4.      The Witches by Roald Dahl:
     a.      Summary (Have I made it clear yet to go look at Goodreads.com?): This Roald Dahl classic tells the scary, funny and imaginative tale of a seven-year-old boy who has a run-in with some real-life witches! "In fairy tales witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks and they ride on broomsticks. But this is not a fairy tale. This is about REAL WITCHES. REAL WITCHES dress in ordinary clothes and look very much like ordinary women. They live in ordinary houses and they work in ordinary jobs. That is why they are so hard to catch." Witches, as our hero learns, hate children. With the help of a friend and his somewhat-magical grandmother, our hero tries to expose the witches before they dispose of him.
     b.      What I think: I read this book when I was like in 2nd grade and I have read it probably 100 times since. I love this book more than…deep fried Twinkies, watch out next Monday will be on Food ;) Anyway, yes this book is a “childs” book. But like any Roald Dahl book, it is really for any age. And personally, I like it more now, than I did then. Kinda get it a bit more. Anyway, Roald Dahl as always uses his insane imagination and drags you in. A must must read!
5.      A Corner of The Universe by Ann M. Martin:
     a.      Summary (I feel like a walking commercial. I am not thanking them again): Hattie Owen enjoys peaceful Millerton summertime’s with "houses nodding in the heavy air," being in charge of Miss Hagerty's breakfast tray at her parents' boardinghouse, and drinking lemonade on the porch after supper. Yet this year, it's different -- Hattie's uncle Adam is coming home. Returning from a Chicago school that's just closed and whose existence is kept quiet by adult family members, Adam is a 21-year-old man with a child's mind, having a knack for talking quickly, a savant-like ability for remembering weekdays, and a passion for I Love Lucy. Hattie and Adam wind up spending precious time together -- including a visit to the recently arrived carnival with Hattie's new friend, Leila -- which makes her feel soulfully connected to her uncle, especially when he declares that she's "one of the people who can lift the corners of our universe." But when Hattie takes Adam on the Ferris wheel one night, it sets off dramatic events that lead Hattie's family to strengthen its bonds and changes her life's outlook.
     b.What I think: To put this out there, I never cry over books. Literally ever. And I bawled. The only time I cry over books is when I’m really pmsing, and I wasn't at the time. There’s just this one part and I just cried like a child. It is a powerful read though and a great plot line  You connect to the characters and just want to be there with them and hold them. And all that stuff when a writer does his/her job and you just absorb into the book. Definitely belongs on anyone’s top 5.

Okay, so this is just a small glimpse into my happy fantasy world of books! I love them, if you couldn't tell. Anyway I hope at least one of these appeals to you, and comment if you have a favorite book or books. Or if you read one of these, anything at all. Anyway love you, and I’ll talk to you again Thursday! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment