"We're all mad here"

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Self Image

       Self Image. It's something that comes a lot into a question lately when it comes to girls. Look at the images we have for role models. These perfectly proportioned, flat stomached, perfect skinned models. Sorry to break it to you, but that isn't real life. And I don't know about you, but lately I've been questioning how pretty that really is.
       I know we can sit there and stare at Vogue and go, "Oh I want to look beautiful and sexy like the girl in the Georgio Armani perfume ad" (Though really who looks at the girl, the guy is always extremely sexy). And then somehow we always manage to glance up into the mirror and go, "I'm not perfect like that." WRONG Ladies. You are perfect like that. Half of these models are photo shopped as hell  and aren't even real people. You are a real person and beautiful at that.
      But back to how you see yourself. This post came into mind because I was hanging with a guy friend of mine, and he began to call himself fat. This wouldn't be as big of a deal if he had any meat on his bones, but he doesn't. He is 6 foot one and only 140 pounds. That's almost underweight. And that is so unbelievably scary to me because I don't want to watch one of my closest friends waste away. So what I did in response is to crawl over to him (we were sitting on the ground) and lift up his shirt, following protests of me not to. You could see every rib, though not as bad as before, and he had zero fat there. He was sitting with his legs curled up, there should have been something. There was nothing. And this is what girls try and say. They try and say they're fat when there is nothing there to be ashamed of, nothing there to be afraid to show. They keep saying I'm fat until the moment they're in the hospital with a tube down they're throat.
      I don't want to see that happen to anyone. Not any of my readers, not any of my friends, not anyone I see on the street. So this is me, the girl next door, the girl who sits next to you in math, your best friend, standing in front of you saying this. You are beautiful, perfect amazing, and holy shit stunning as hell. I want hair like yours, it frames your face perfectly. Your eyes are bright and shining and they're what I look at first. Your boobs, damn girl, if I wasn't straight ;) Your legs are sexy as hell and you deserve to strut with those as much as you can. Plus it makes your great ass look even better.
      Don't you dare think I'm lying. Don't shut me out right now, because I'm not lying. I'm what the voice in your head should be saying, but is hindered from doing so because society's image of what you should be, isn't exactly what you are. But who the fuck cares what they think of you, because they're all narrow minded idiots who are criticizing you because they are unhappy with themselves. Everyone is different, but everyone is their own special kind of gorgeous. And you my dear are a very special person.
      So before the voice in your head starts criticizing your beauty, remember me. I know I might not be much, but where there's one, there's many. I think your gorgeous. Half the guys probably do too. The girl who's teasing you sure as hell does because that's why she's hurting you. The people that say things, they're blind. The magazines that put up the pictures of the slim girls with zero curves and say they're real, are moronic. They can all get over their shit. And open there eyes and see the amazing person in front of them.
      To end this I just want to share a little something. I've said before that I once believed what I'm telling you not too. I wasn't happy with me. And a lot of that had to do with environment, I was surrounded by people who were very skinny and expected me to be too. But when I got into high school, I realized fully that people come in all shapes and sizes. And colors and eyes and hair and noses and personalities. We're all different and that realization is what helped me the most. Took a long time, took me until sophomore year to take off my huge grey sweatshirt, but I finally realized we're all different for a reason, and everyone is beautiful in their own special way. And so are you. I don't give a damn if in your head right now you are second guessing every word I say, it's all true. And someday I promise you'll believe me.
Love you guys, and I promise a lighter post soon! :)
-Brina

No comments:

Post a Comment