"We're all mad here"

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Butterfly wall art thingy DIY

So I promised a lighter post, so here it is! I was feeling inspired and for lack of a better thing to do, well I had homework, but that doesn't count, I decided to create a big old wall decoration. Now I got the original idea from a random pinterest photo where someone took and made a rainbow out of butterfly cut outs. I took that idea one step further and put quotes and inspirational words on every single of the 70 colorful butterflies. And I took pictures along the whole process for you all!
So here is my original materials. I just found an easy butterfly template online because while I can draw butterflies they aren't nearly as pretty as this one. Then I have a bunch of construction paper. I ended up just doing 1 sheet each of light pink, red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, blue and two sheets of black. Then a marker to trace and a pair of scissors to cut out. Later on you're going to either need that same marker, or what I used, a sharpie, to write your quotes. You'll also need some way to hang them up, I used scotch tape.
So your next step after the gathering of materials will be to trace out your butterflies. I managed to fit 10 on each page, and then with the black because I squished them I got 11 on each sheet. So in the end I had 92 butterflies. You can do more or even less than that. Warning: This step takes forever! I took I bunch of breaks in between to do other things and then came back to it.
Here is all my pretty cut out butterflies! Now its your time to search around, find any quotes or words that you like. I looked on tumblr and weheartit, and then also took a few quotes from books and songs. This is the fun part :)
Here's an example of one of mine. You can do them in pretty script, in messy, you can put huge quotes, or just words like this one. Anything you want. Now this next picture is going to look like a jump because I forgot to include the middle steps. So I will just tell you them. You aren't going to want flat butterflies as your wall art, or maybe you do, don't really know. Anyway this comes to a dilemma, if you just fold them in half, there is not really a big place for the tape to stick to. So what I did was fold on wing over less than half an inch under the other wing, then repeated it with the other side. That will give you a rectangle where the body of the butterfly would normally go. That way you can put tape there. 
So then here is the final result. I moved up in a rainbow pattern and then put the black butterflies along the side because I though the butterfly rainbow in the white looked weird. But when it comes to hanging up your butterflies you can really do anything with them. Put them sporadically around your room. Hang them from your ceiling with fishing wire. Put them in a different pattern. Its really all up to you.
Anyway I hope you all liked this! And I actually really liked doing this, maybe I should do more? Tell me in the poll up in the right corner. Love ya guys, bye!
-Brina

No comments:

Post a Comment